Is crypto mining and environmentalism two opposing concepts?

Hi guys! I have been having this discussion several times over the past months and was wondering what you think about it. Obviously environmentalists, vegans etc. are very big right now but crypto is also on the rise. Looking at how much energy is needed for mining (e.g. Iceland), do you think crypto mining is less environmentally friendly than non-crypto currencies? Look forward to hearing what you think.
1 x

Re: Is crypto mining and environmentalism two opposing concepts?

Andrews411 wrote:
March 9th, 2018, 5:31 pm
Hi guys! I have been having this discussion several times over the past months and was wondering what you think about it. Obviously environmentalists, vegans etc. are very big right now but crypto is also on the rise. Looking at how much energy is needed for mining (e.g. Iceland), do you think crypto mining is less environmentally friendly than non-crypto currencies? Look forward to hearing what you think.
Cryptocurrencies are too young and thus far from perfect.
PoW is the very first attempt to create less-or-more secure currency, and it's a success. The progress will move forward, soon we will see Ethereum switched to PoS, new algorithms more popular (such as dPoS, PoI, tangle).
0 x

Re: Is crypto mining and environmentalism two opposing concepts?

tickbite wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 12:25 am
I think that question is a bit to general, what do you mean with non- crypto currency? Are you talking about normal currency and the energy consumption of a bank versus that of Crypto mining setup?
Yes thats exactly what I was talking about. People keep arguing how unsustainable cryptocurrencies and mining are. But I wonder if fiat can even be more sustainable regarding all aspects of it.

Thanks for your reply! :)
0 x

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”